A coastguard spokesman has expressed surprise that parents have been taking young children down to the beaches of South Devon at night and abandoning them on the sand while they scavenge for loot from the wrecked cargo ship. From my observations of the British population over the past 38 years, I have to say that I’m not that surprised. What’s more shocking is the kind of garbage that people have being picking up. I mean, a brand new BMW bike is one thing, but packets of nappies washed up by the tide? That is seriously chavvy.
I've now studied the Special Constable poster in more detail (see blogs passim ) and can reveal the idea is even more complex and bizarre than I first thought. You'll recall that a Special is on some seedy looking street corner, just yards away from where a drug deal is in progress. He's keenly observing events and looks ready to take some kind of action. The copy says that Specials wear uniform and always have back-up. But this guy is on his own in plain clothes. Worrying. Perhaps he's off duty but just can't leave the policing thing alone? Once a part-time copper, always a part-time copper. But wait. There is back up. It comes in the form of the constable's own reflection in a puddle. If he took his eyes off the criminal activity for just a second and took the trouble to look down at his feet, he'd see that in Puddle Land, he is wearing a uniform and carrying a radio. There's enough material here to fill a semiotics seminar for a day. If I disco...
Comments
Post a Comment