I admit that I'm no great monarchist, but even I was a tad concerned to hear Prince Harry say that he doesn't like England much. The bloke is third in line to the throne after daddy and big bruv, so you'd expect him at least to pretend he likes the place. It is, after all, the land of Bluewater, Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pie and Amy Winehouse. The kind of great institutions that the Taliban would happily abolish and that Harry has just been fighting to defend.
I've now studied the Special Constable poster in more detail (see blogs passim ) and can reveal the idea is even more complex and bizarre than I first thought. You'll recall that a Special is on some seedy looking street corner, just yards away from where a drug deal is in progress. He's keenly observing events and looks ready to take some kind of action. The copy says that Specials wear uniform and always have back-up. But this guy is on his own in plain clothes. Worrying. Perhaps he's off duty but just can't leave the policing thing alone? Once a part-time copper, always a part-time copper. But wait. There is back up. It comes in the form of the constable's own reflection in a puddle. If he took his eyes off the criminal activity for just a second and took the trouble to look down at his feet, he'd see that in Puddle Land, he is wearing a uniform and carrying a radio. There's enough material here to fill a semiotics seminar for a day. If I disco...
But did MUMMY like England?
ReplyDeleteShe spent half her time on big boats in foreign waters with foreign friends...